IB learner Profile
IB Learner Profile
Six transdisciplinary themes guide learning throughout the PYP years. These globally significant themes provide the opportunity to incorporate both local and global issues and enable students to “step out” beyond the confines of subject areas and instead see the world from a wider perspective.
As an IB certified school*, Hamilton Hill International Kindergarten develops our programme of inquiry (POI) based on the six transdisciplinary themes:
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organize ourselves
- Sharing the planet
In each theme is unit of Inquiry (UOI) and Hamilton Hill provides 4 units of inquiry for our early year learners.
* Hamilton Hill International Kindergarten is a certified school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme. Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme or the Career-related Programme (CP).
For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org
The most important part of our curriculum is that our curriculum fits our students not the other way around. All children are different and a ‘one size fits all’ policy just simply doesn’t cut it in the modern classroom. We need to observe and adapt our learning to the specific group of children we have at the time and so our curriculum is always developing.
We draw inspiration from an inquiry-based approach to learning with a central idea to each of our four units throughout the year. These units focus on specific areas of learning so that we cover all learning disciplines.
4 units of inquiry focus on
- Social awareness Family connections Friendships
- Relationships and exploration Global perspectives
- Scientific advances and principles Environment
- Responsibilities connected to living things and communities
Each of these units will focus on different educational disciplines such as arts, language, number work and social science.
Our curriculum also follows the standards and benchmarks of the EYFS British National Curriculum and incorporates a phonics program that would be very similar to a Kindergarten in the U.K.